List of all Templates and Checklists
Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
The 70 page base document helps you to define your individual requirements and explains the evaluation criteria.
The 30 page documentation template assists you in documentation of your requirements, assumptions and decisions!
The replication to DR-site is NOT invisible!
- In a few cases the presence of DR-Protection DOES need attention!
This document helps to identify those maintenance- and operations activities requiring additional steps caused by DR-Protection.
Service Management: Operational Level Agreements (OLA)
Help the Service Manager to ask for the appropriate service details
This 30+ page template contains a big Service Catalogue for (advanced) DBA-services and Service Levels for the Services offered!
This 50+ page template addresses not only simple standard backup and restore, but additionally special restore situations, backup testing, backup optimization.... - Check the "Table of Contents!" and Product Description!
Self Assessment: Check yourself before Auditors report it!
- Proactive checking for stability issues is important to avoid unplanned outages.
- Documenting those checks provides important evidence that you are operating according best practice. Because Auditors ask for documented evidence!
All auditors require requires that all duties are clearly assigned (and documented), but especially during SOX (Sarbanes Oxley Act) compliance audits the focus on this topic is even higher than usual.
- Don't leave any room for discussion that's "the other, but not we".
- Execute a self assessment using our template - and be prepared for surprise!
If you have just a job role "DBA", but not a dedicated job role "Application DBA" those 19 duties must be explicitly assigned to either "Application Support" or to the "DBA" - otherwise they might not be executed!
Requirements Engineering - Ask the right questions early!
No matter if you are selecting a software package or if you planning custom development, the requirements must be defined in both cases.
(And don't even think about the additional delay...)
More than 270 requirement for availability, reliability, manageability, Backup and Recovery, resuming crashed jobs, configuration requirements, archiving / restore....
Requirements-Checklist and Template for Application Interfaces. It's quite sure that the new application needs to be integrated with existing applications, and that might be a MAJOR part of the project!
Base Document 24 pages + Template 11 pages
Reading this checklist at the very beginning of the project will reveal a lot of steps which otherwise might be forgotten in the time- and budget estimation! This simple checklist with 101 items targets small and new companies with IT-department on a low maturity level and should bridge the time until change management and release management are fully implemented according best practice.
Of course you do know that an Operations Manual is mandatory part of the delivery, but you might be surprised about the required effort to create a really comprehensive Operations Manual!
Note: When purchasing a commercial packaged application, the vendor's manuals will not cover all aspects of operating the integrated application!
Using this template the customer will understand you estimations of man days and costs for this deliverable!
- Use this template to create those lists you really need!
- List all Servers and Applications and map what's running where.
- No software to install - a simple spreadsheet which fits the purpose.
Life Cycle Management
- adding CPU's
- replacing CPU's with faster CPU's
- Operating System Upgrade
- adding Storage
- replacing a server with a newer, bigger model
- The decision making process of "should we upgrade now or later ? or not at all?"
- The impact analysis ? identification of all internal and external dependencies.
- The gathering of requirements for the upgrade.
- The selection of the best upgrade approach ("In-Place Upgrade" or "New Installation").
- Providing input required for the Upgrade Planning.
- an application specific plan,
- and final checklist
- reduces the time to create such a checklist
- reduces the risks of running into (forgetting about) typical traps